Oct

Damnoen Saduak Floating Market

After stopping at the Maeklong Railway Market, we continue on with our half day tour with our local guide from ‘Tour with Tong’, to Damnoen Saduak Floating Market. This floating market is situated about 100km southwest of Bangkok in Ratchaburi province.

DSC_0252a

The Damnoen Saduak Floating Market is flocked with tourists, making it a chaotic yet colourful attraction. Market vendors are on stalled or moving boats, selling a huge range of goods from fruits to soup noodles to handbags and an endless assortment of souvenirs. We take a boat ride along the canals, stopping by at a Coconut Sugar Farm, as well as witnessing the lifestyle of local villagers living in homes over the waters.

DSC_0253a

squeezing through the ‘traffic jam’

DSC_0334a

DSC_0337a

DSC_0342a

sugar and spice and all things nice…

DSC_0398a

DSC_0460a

bargaining-in-action

Coconut Sugar Farm

Alight at the Coconut Sugar Farm to witness the sugar-making process. The sap from the sugar cane is heated here in large open containers. Once boiled and then cooled, the coconut sugar hardens into chunks, ready for sale. There is also free tasting of cooling coconut water offered here.

DSC_0373aDSC_0377aDSC_0376aDSC_0388a

Fruits Galore

Check out the spread of fresh local fruits sold on boats everywhere you turn.

DSC_0484a

DSC_0438a

thirst quenching water guava (known to Malaysians as ‘jambu air’)

DSC_0479a

the King and Queen of Fruits of Thailand – durian (the ‘King’), mangosteen (the ‘Queen’)

DSC_0471a

irresistable rambutans

Authentic Thai Snacks

DSC_0258a

‘Kanom Bueng’ – Thai crispy coconut crepes

DSC_0451a

deep fried vegetarian spring rolls

DSC_0474a

Kanom Krok’ – Thai coconut pancakes

Lifestyle of Damnoen Saduak

DSC_0325a

an elderly lady rowing along the canal

DSC_0410a

friendly faces of Damnoen Saduak

You might also like

Maeklong Railway Market The unique attraction about Bangkok's Maeklong Railway Market is the fact that a train literally runs...
Siem Reap – Kompong Khleang Kompong Khleang is one of the largest Tonle Sap communities with over 20,000 people. Located about 45km...
Chowrasta Market Area Chowrasta Market is a famous wet market facing Penang Road, in the centre of George Town. The market...
Siem Reap – Night Market With the temples closed by late evening, a great way to spend the night is to go into Siem Reap town...
Grab This Widget

36 Responses to “Damnoen Saduak Floating Market”

1. 1 chyng Oct 19th, 2010 at 2:37 am

hello Lee!
    i always see photos of this floating market and I cant help feel but trouled of how the sellers hassle themselves to sell.. haha
    but this set is probably the most organized I saw. great work of presenting how busy yet fun this market tour is.
    mahusay ka! in english: you are great! ;)

2. 2 micki Oct 19th, 2010 at 7:21 am

Well capture of the local lifestyle! That was a chaotic traffic jam; however, everyone looks so calm and pleasant on the boats except the one in bargaining~~ :) :)

3. 3 khengsiong Oct 19th, 2010 at 9:01 am

When I went to Damnoen Saduak two years ago, I actually stayed overnight at the town, and went to the market early in the morning, before it got too warm.

4. 4 Nomadic Pinoy Oct 19th, 2010 at 9:05 am

This is the famous floating market that I never had the chance to see for myself. But do you think it has not lost its original charm or has it turned into a tourist trap these days?

5. 5 fufu Oct 19th, 2010 at 9:31 am

nice pictures! i had a great time at a floating market too

6. 6 uLi Oct 19th, 2010 at 11:43 am

Post HK pix lor….

7. 7 Jimmy Tan Oct 19th, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Nice capture! You went to Hong Kong? Post some pictures too! :)

8. 8 Che-Cheh Oct 19th, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Very nice. :)
    Hope I can go there someday. Missed it the last time I was in Bangkok.

9. 9 smallkucing Oct 21st, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Lovely set of photo

10. 10 Alexandra Oct 21st, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Really nice pot, and I really like your blog.
    Your picture are so nice, and the kids are so cute :)

I’m managing a meta-blog about travel and activities in South East Asia: http://www.weekend.com.sg/

I read some of your articles carefully and your content can be really useful for my readers looking for travel, tips and activities in South East Asia ! For that, I need good bloggers like you…
    In consequence, I decided to select your blog !

I would like to know if you would be interested to appear on my web portal? It will increase your visibility on internet, increase your visits, and provide good information for my users.
    Send me an email at greenty.com@gmail.com and I will try to answer within 24h.

Good job again !

Alexandra

11. 11 Mei Teng Oct 24th, 2010 at 3:40 pm

The floating market is such a buzz of activity! :)

12. 12 mylo Oct 24th, 2010 at 6:59 pm

Beautiful series! I can see a BIG PACKET of saffron – the world’s most expensive spice! I would LOVE to try coconut chunk and coconut crepes. They look delicious to me!

13. 13 ai shiang Oct 25th, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Many years ago, I went to Bangkok but don’t recall visiting the floating market. I haven’t eaten rambutans and mangosteens for over 15 years!

14. 14 Rafael Lam Oct 25th, 2010 at 10:07 pm

Very nice and colorful pictures in Damnoen Saduak Floating Market!
    Many souvenirs and I want to try the ‘Kanom Krok’ – Thai coconut pancakes! :)

15. 15 London Caller Oct 26th, 2010 at 5:55 am

I miss the market so much!
    I would definitely try all their snacks!
    The bargain lady’s face is full of expressions!
    By the way, I also like their hats! Ha ha… Like a lampshade?!

>who are the 2 ladies dressed up in the first photo?
    They’re shop assistants from a nearby photography shop.
    People can dress up (like them) to have their photos taken.

Did you go to Windsor?
    I went there twice, on both occasions I saw those girls.
    Not exactly the same girls.

16. 16 flip'n travels Oct 26th, 2010 at 9:24 pm

i remember this place, we almost got ripped off by the boat man. and i lost my designer sunglasses on this place. :-(

RON

17. 17 lechua Nov 1st, 2010 at 12:45 am

chyng: guess it’s part of the culture of bargaining in the markets :)

micki: it was quite congested especially where we got on and off the boats… so it’s not only bangkok traffic jam on the road – we have it on water too!

khengsiong: ahh really… how was the town? only saw the floating market. and yea best to get there early in the morning

18. 18 lechua Nov 1st, 2010 at 12:47 am

Nomadic Pinoy: agree with you… not the most authentic local market – but i did want to see the hype and buzz of this famous tourist attraction. perhaps if i have another chance i’d like to visit one that is more local.

fufu: was it the same one that you visited?

19. 19 lechua Nov 1st, 2010 at 12:52 am

uLi/Jimmy: HK – i wasn’t the one holding the camera this time round – was more of a weekend family trip in disneyland & helping to run after niece/nephew…

Che-Cheh: would recommend it – very lively atmosphere

smallkuching: thank you :)

20. 20 lechua Nov 1st, 2010 at 12:53 am

Alexandra: hiya, have responded to you via email. as discussed, feel free to subscribe to my RSS feed and i have placed a link back to your metablog!

21. 21 lechua Nov 1st, 2010 at 12:57 am

Mei Teng: it sure is.. even if you’re not shopping, watching the scene around you is quite something.

mylo: didn’t realise saffron was the most expensive spice – now i know..

ai shiang: u should come back to this area more often and feast on the fruits!

Rafael: there are all sorts of snacks for you to try out…

22. 22 lechua Nov 1st, 2010 at 1:01 am

London Caller: looks like the wearing of hats has naturally become a part of the market scene. can imagine they’re definitely useful esp as it gets hot later in the day

ron: had a guide who arranged the boat for us so didn’t bargain on that part.. oh noes.. how did u lose your sunglasses? in the water??

23. 23 horsoon Nov 6th, 2010 at 11:37 am

This is a really good post, with the even more awesome shots, makes it a perfect travel blog :)

24. 24 Nicholas Leong Nov 8th, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I ate one of the best noodles there :D yum!

25. 25 taufulou Dec 9th, 2010 at 5:25 pm

really love your pictures eh.. wonder when can i capture so nice as yorus~

26. 26 lechua Dec 24th, 2010 at 10:03 am

horsoon: glad to share what I saw there :)

Nicholas Leong: yea the noodles seemed really popular with tourists. many were slurping while on the boat.

taufulou: heya…. i enjoy ur travel photos on ur site tooo

27. 27 David @ Malaysia Asia Jan 8th, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Hey Lechua, Happy New Year 2011. Nice photography on the river here. This is one of the places I am yet to visit out of Bangkok. So many times been to Bangkok, I always forget to include this place in my itinerary.

David

28. 28 lechua Jan 9th, 2011 at 4:11 am

David: good to hear from you. impressed with all the activity going on at your site. Great job! & looking forward to more in the new year!

29. 29 Angelina Jan 23rd, 2011 at 1:53 am

Great photos…I felt like I was taking a walk right there with you!

30. 30 ayee Feb 9th, 2011 at 1:24 pm

hi!
    what lens did you use here?

31. 31 lechua Feb 9th, 2011 at 2:58 pm

angelina: many thanks

ayee: using nikkor 18-200mm

32. 32 Interesting Foto Mar 10th, 2011 at 11:57 pm

great photos, especially the boats with fruits

33. 33 Hayley Withfield Jul 14th, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Wow that was odd. I just wrote an extremely long comment on http://www.lechuaphotography.com/2010/10/19/damnoen-saduak-floating-market but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t show up. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again. Regardless, just wanted to say superb blog!

34. 34 Taren Antila Oct 15th, 2011 at 1:02 am

Im impressed, I should say. Quite rarely do I come across a weblog thats both informative and entertaining, and let me tell you, youve hit the nail on the head. Your blog is important; the issue is one thing that not sufficient individuals are talking intelligently about. Im definitely happy that I stumbled across this in my search for something relating to this concern.

35. 35 Traveling in Thailand Jan 22nd, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Nice pictures, i have been in Damnoen a few weeks ago. The Tha Kha floating a market ( between Amphawa and Damnoen Saduak ) is interesting too. I did Amphawa in the evening and the railway market of mae Klong a wonderful “MarketDay” ;)

1. 1 Maeklong Railway Market Bangkok | lechua photography Pingback on Oct 19th, 2010 at 12:29 am